Thursday, April 28, 2011

For The Love Of The Game

As I was watching game 7 of the Bruins-Canadians series I wondered what it was that made us so passionate about pro sports. Sitting in my living room watching one of the best games I have ever seen in my life, I started thinking "is this really worth all the anxiety and stress just in the hopes that our team wins". I sometimes feel that as a fan who really loves the game, are we more emotionally involved than the players who actually play the game? If I had a heart attack while watching the game, would it really be a surprise? When the game finally ended and the Bruins actually pulled off the victory in overtime, I was physically exhausted as if I had played in the game myself. Is this something that I really want to pass down to my kids the same way my father passed down his love and passion of sports to me. I hope that as my kids get older they love sports as much as I do but is the love of a particular team really worth all the agony our teams put us through? Is this the way that all sports fans feel? Does the hope that one day your team will actually win it all make the heartache worth it or am I too passionate about something that I can’t change the outcome of?

No comments:

Post a Comment